Feijoa’s Feijoas Feijoas everywhere- what to do with Feijoas
In the kitchen
Feijoas are rich in vitamin C and delicious either raw or cooked …
- Process feijoa flesh in a blender, by itself or with other fruit for a nutritious smoothy. No added sugar needed.
- Make feijoa crumble. You can substitute feijoas for apples in any dessert, cake or muffin recipe.
- Dice fresh feijoas and add a little lemon juice to make a simple salsa to serve with meat.
- Make feijoa chutney.
- Stew feijoas and keep them in the fridge to eat with breakfast cereal, or as a desert with custard or ice cream.
- Gently poach whole peeled feijoas in red wine syrup and serve with vanilla ice cream, or blue cheese.
Feijoa and ginger muffins
1 cup self-raising flour
1 cup fine rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
2-3 tsp ground ginger
75g butter, melted
3/4 cup milk
1 egg beaten
1 cup feijoa flesh
Preheat oven to 200°C.
Mix together the first 5 (dry) ingredients.
Mix together the last 4 (wet) ingredients in a separate bowl.
Gently combine the wet and dry ingredients until just mixed.
Spoon into greased or non-stick muffin pans and bake for 12-15 mins.